Winter is coming! More than likely we have only a few more days to take advantage of warmer weather to get our yards ready for the long, cold winter.
Here’s a checklist of things you can do now to make sure you have a beautiful lawn in the spring:
- Watering: As we have said before, you should continue to water your lawn, plants and shrubs until the first freeze. After the first freeze, let Mother Nature take over and you can stop watering until spring.
- Sprinkler System: Call our friends at Millard Sprinkler to schedule a time to flush out and turn off your sprinkler system. Avoid a costly repair from frozen pipes that burst.
- Raking: It is ok to leave some leaves on your lawn, but thick piles of wet leaves can trap water and create a perfect environment for mold. Rake up thick layers or piles of leaves, particularly around the foundation of your home, to avoid problems.
- Fertilize: If you haven’t applied a winter fertilizer, do it now before the first freeze!
- Mowing: With all the rain we have had recently it’s been difficult to find a dry day to mow. Take advantage of the next dry day to mow your lawn one last time but raise the height so it’s kept a little longer.
Take advantage of the last few nice days to give your yard a little attention – the payoff will be a beautiful lawn and healthy plants, trees and shrubs next spring! Call Turf Care if you have any questions or you’d like to get on our spring schedule!